A Closer Look at Prevalent Alternatives to Long-term International Assignments
The Alternative International Assignments Policies and Practices Survey (AIA) reports offer an in-depth look into policies and practices governing six alternative types of international assignments:
- Permanent / One-way Transfers
- Talent Development
- Global Nomad
These reports examine the latest trends in global mobility and build on Mercer's database of custom benchmarking solutions. In addition to the six reports focusing on each assignment type, a Global Executive Summary Report is available. This summary offers a comparative look at trends and management of these alternative assignment types.
Noteworthy Findings in 2016
- Segmentation and policy combination increasing compared to our last survey edition: 18% of all respondents have formal policies for four or more of these alternative assignment types, 20% for three, 34% for two of them and 27% only for one.
- More than three quarters of the respondents have permanent / one-way moves.
- Average commuting duration is similar to 2013 but more companies now limit the duration of these assignments.
Find out more by ordering a survey today.
Browse Reports Browse Reports (US Visitors)
For each assignment type, the survey examines:
- Recent trends
- Policy and administration
- Compensation approach
- Living costs
- Housing and utilities policies
- Mobility incentives and Hardship
- Travel and home leave
- Other support